We are all capable of so much more than we believe. Creating a plan to reach these capabilities can be key to success whether that be personally or in business.
Setting goals and intentions, tracking performance and celebrating success will assist in keeping you motivated and committed, and provide the encouragement to keep going.
So what have you set as your business goals for 2017? Have you been bold with your goals? Have you pushed beyond your comfort zone to make sure your business thrives this year and beyond?
At gotowebsites we understand the importance of including “digital goals” for 2017. If your website is more than 3 years old, there’s a fair chance it may require an update for the new year. In this digital world technology changes quickly and you should prioritise your website on your list of goals.
Here are 4 great reasons you need to look at your website in 2017:
- Is your site optimised for mobile? It is predicted this year that on average people around the world will spend 86 minutes a day on their phone using the internet (compared to 36 minutes on their desktop). Don’t miss out on online market share due to an outdated website – or worse yet, no website! (Stat source – Statista, Digiday).
- Keep ahead of your competition. Make a goal to be the first to get onto digital trends, not copy what the competition is already doing. With this in mind, act on ideas, read widely about your industry, keep up-to-date with digital trends and keep an eye on your business goals daily.
- Update your digital store front. It’s a great idea to keep your website looking clean and fresh to highlight to your customers that your company is organised, professional and focused on the business. Think of it like updating your “shop window”.
- Ensure a secure and safe web experience for your customers. Why? For SEO purposes (search engine optimisation), Google has mentioned that a secure website is a consideration for its ranking factor. Also, when visitors feel safe on your site (even if you’re not an e-Commerce site) they are more likely to spend time on a trusted website – especially customers with limited technical knowledge.
If you haven’t set your intentions for 2017 we suggest you set aside time to get onto it before January passes you by. A business without goals is like a business without a website. It’s there, but losing potential business by short circuiting the options for customers to reach you.
At gotowebsites we understand it can be confusing to know whether to DIY using a free website builder or hire professional web designers, however it really is a decision that requires thought.
In today’s business world, not having a website is like removing opportunities before they even present themselves. Can your business really afford to take the risk of not strategically presenting itself to the 78% of Australian’s who use the internet daily?
Here are some points to consider when deciding on the right website plan for your business:
- Website builders such as WIX, which is currently advertised a lot, offers a simple and inexpensive segway into the online world. They provide a web platform which is more suited to smaller sites, as they do not offer the strength of a platform such as WordPress (a content management system with thousands of available “themes” for sites).
- Like anything DIY there are many benefits to creating your own site and it can certainly seem simple enough. However, like most DIY ventures, there are times you are left wishing the professional web designers were there to help.
The more qualified your website, the more rewards you and your business will gain. This is because creating a website is the simple part. Getting it to rank in google, understanding SEO, understanding the steps to keyword research, the importance of privacy policies, accessing qualified online legal advice & even knowing what plugins and widgets are, become extremely important elements that a DIY’er may not know or have time to get to know.
Professional web designers offer knowledge to all the above plus:
- know how to engage your customer as soon as they land on your website,
- know how to make your site unique, as often DIY website builders offer a generic look,
- how to organise the content on a website & content gap management,
- how to conduct business research as well as competitor research,
- the knowledge and skill to effectively implement keyword strategy (SEO) onto each page of your website,
- how to carry out the required maintenance on a website,
- digital marketing and how this relates to a website,
- how to manage link development.
So here are our top Pro’s & Con’s of a DIY Website:
Pros’s of DIY
- User friendly as DIY website builders offer the most basic sites,
- A starting point for someone who’s unsure about their business long term,
- A good option for a small business who only wishes to show case minimal information,
- Site set up is low-cost,
- Forums and tools are available for when you run into difficulties.
Con’s of DIY
- DIY websites are often not unique and can lack professional presentation,
- If building an ecommerce site, you may require professional assistance for product set up, changes, set up of payment methods,
- If looking to generate sole income on your website, professional web developers are recommended,
- If you are not confident or familiar with websites, professional guidance is recommended,
- Cost of a professional web designers.
- No knowledge or guidance in Keyword Research or its implementation.
Our experience at gotowebsites to date is that clients are looking for more than just a basic online presence. They want to hit the first or second spot on google for searches and have customers see their site. Upon chatting to clients, we often see they have many facets to their business and they need to know how this transpires into a website that captures attention. We have clients who have even built their own sites on a free website builder and then sought help from us to turn their DIY site into a beautiful WordPress site highlighting
more than just a basic message. At the end of the day it all depends on your website goal(s), your budget, the time you must invest in your website, the desired professionalism of your site including its content, and the confidence you have to implement and execute all of the aspects involved in creating a website that works for your clients and your business.
As professional web designers, we offer free, no obligation consultations to help you determine what type of website you need for your business and how we can assist you to get your business in front of your customers. Don’t delay contacting us to set up a time to discuss how to grow your business.
Darrell: email@example.com or 0408 256 424
Claire: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0419 716 656
Promote Your Website
Use every opportunity to promote your website URL (domain name) to ensure that your giving your business every chance to attract more clients and customers.
- Include a link to your website’s on your email Signature
- Include your website URL (domain name) on all of stationary your business uses – letterheads, business cards, brochures, invoices, receipts, complimentary slips, greeting cards, product and postage labels, envelopes – everything!
- Include your website’s URL on your signage, and on your business vehicles
- Be an active user of Social Media – Facebook, Instagram, Snap Chat, Linked In, Twitter, Google Circles, etc. Use these to promote your business, service or product. Not all of these will be appropriate to your particular business
- Promote your website on business directories which directly relates to your business activity or product, these are listed above.