At gotowebsites we understand it can be confusing to know whether to DIY using a free website builder or hire professional web designers, however it really is a decision that requires thought.
In today’s business world, not having a website is like removing opportunities before they even present themselves. Can your business really afford to take the risk of not strategically presenting itself to the 78% of Australian’s who use the internet daily?
Here are some points to consider when deciding on the right website plan for your business:
- Website builders such as WIX, which is currently advertised a lot, offers a simple and inexpensive segway into the online world. They provide a web platform which is more suited to smaller sites, as they do not offer the strength of a platform such as WordPress (a content management system with thousands of available “themes” for sites).
- Like anything DIY there are many benefits to creating your own site and it can certainly seem simple enough. However, like most DIY ventures, there are times you are left wishing the professional web designers were there to help.
The more qualified your website, the more rewards you and your business will gain. This is because creating a website is the simple part. Getting it to rank in google, understanding SEO, understanding the steps to keyword research, the importance of privacy policies, accessing qualified online legal advice & even knowing what plugins and widgets are, become extremely important elements that a DIY’er may not know or have time to get to know.
Professional web designers offer knowledge to all the above plus:
- know how to engage your customer as soon as they land on your website,
- know how to make your site unique, as often DIY website builders offer a generic look,
- how to organise the content on a website & content gap management,
- how to conduct business research as well as competitor research,
- the knowledge and skill to effectively implement keyword strategy (SEO) onto each page of your website,
- how to carry out the required maintenance on a website,
- digital marketing and how this relates to a website,
- how to manage link development.
So here are our top Pro’s & Con’s of a DIY Website:
Pros’s of DIY
- User friendly as DIY website builders offer the most basic sites,
- A starting point for someone who’s unsure about their business long term,
- A good option for a small business who only wishes to show case minimal information,
- Site set up is low-cost,
- Forums and tools are available for when you run into difficulties.
Con’s of DIY
- DIY websites are often not unique and can lack professional presentation,
- If building an ecommerce site, you may require professional assistance for product set up, changes, set up of payment methods,
- If looking to generate sole income on your website, professional web developers are recommended,
- If you are not confident or familiar with websites, professional guidance is recommended,
- Cost of a professional web designers.
- No knowledge or guidance in Keyword Research or its implementation.
Our experience at gotowebsites to date is that clients are looking for more than just a basic online presence. They want to hit the first or second spot on google for searches and have customers see their site. Upon chatting to clients, we often see they have many facets to their business and they need to know how this transpires into a website that captures attention. We have clients who have even built their own sites on a free website builder and then sought help from us to turn their DIY site into a beautiful WordPress site highlighting
As professional web designers, we offer free, no obligation consultations to help you determine what type of website you need for your business and how we can assist you to get your business in front of your customers. Don’t delay contacting us to set up a time to discuss how to grow your business.
Darrell: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0408 256 424
Claire: email@example.com or 0419 716 656